Minutes of Steering Committee Meeting No.9
- [HP] Heidi Perrett
- [JB] Justin Baker
- [MS] Manodeep Sinha
- [NL] Nooriyah Poonawala-Lohani (Chair)
- [NM] Nicholas May
- [RL] Rebecca Lange
For the detailed agenda see: GitHub Issue 14
1. Approval of Previous Minutes
See link: Minutes from Meeting No.8 - Passed unanimously.
2. Outstanding Actions
[NM] Schedule a special meeting to discuss eResearch Australasia 2020, and create a discussion document to share ideas. - done
[NM] Share 2019 steering committee election process and dates. - done
[NL] Commence planning for a virtual event about: in progress “How to publicly share 100 TB’s of data with a Jupyter Notebook access” Contact with ARDC rep has been initiated. Plan to run this event after eRA2020.
[All] Create posts for the website about outputs/results from the following:
- [NM] Create google docs for collaboration on posts. - done. Folder link below: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IQLvA7AMuvL78k5qFNVGv_DPJhRrJ8lq
- [HP] Oversee post: Workshop and BoF at eResAus 2019 - in progress
- [NL] Oversee post: eResNZ 2020. - in progress
- [HP] Share lists of attendees for eResAus 2019 events. - reassigned
- [All] Contribute to the posts.
3. Discussion of Online Events for 2020
The committee has decided to submit abstracts for three sessions at eRA2020. These include two Birds of a Feather (BoF) sessions and one oral presentation. It was agreed that all committee members should provide input on all abstracts, but the abstract should be assigned to three committee members to manage the submission process. Assignments are listed in the Actions Carried Forward section below.
4. Election 2020
The committee reviewed the dates and process for the 2020 Election. A proposal was made to increase the period for which committee members are elected and to provide more continuity of operation. The committee agreed to change the period from the current one year to two year. In addition, the committee agreed that only half of the committee (i.e. four positions) will be elected each year.
To manage the transition to these new election arrangements, the committee agreed to extend the servicing period of the existing six members until the 2021 election, and open the 2020 election for four new positions. This will temporarily increase the total number of committee positions available to ten until the 2021 election, after which it will revert to the normal eight positions.
The committee discussed the provisional dates for the election and agreed to move the nomination period, so that it will be open before and after eRA2020. This will provide an opportunity for RSE-AUNZ to advertise to the members before and during events at eRA2020.
The agreed dates for 2020 election are as follows:
|Period||Start Date||End Date|
|Nomination||Mon. 12th Oct.||Sun. 1st Nov.|
|Confirmation||Mon. 2nd Nov.||Sun. 8th Nov.|
|Voting||Mon. 9th Nov.||Sun. 22th Nov.|
|Results Declared||Mon 23rd Nov.|
The committee agreed to invite Matthias Liffers (ARDC) to oversee the 2020 election as returning office; a position he filled for the 2019 election.
5. Casual Vacancies
The committee has agreed to defer appointment until after the 2020 election, should there be positions vacant.
6. Any other business
Several committee members have been invited to take part in the podcast called RSE Stories. We aim to publish posts to advertise these sessions when they are available online.
Actions Carried Forward
- [All] Create abstracts for eRA2020. Abstracts submitted by:
Use the following folder for collaboration around posts: eResAus-2020 Folder
- [RL] BoF session - Training
- [NL] Oral presentation - Trends in RSE
- [JB] BoF session - Lightning Talks by and for RSEs
- [NM] To create a poll to find a more appropriate time for Steering Committee meetings.
- [All] Expand ideas submitted to the poll: Tricider Poll
- [NM] Publicise closing of current Tricider Poll on 31st Aug.
- [NL] Planning our first online event about: “How to publicly share 100 TB’s of data with a Jupyter Notebook access”
- [All] Create posts for the website about outputs/results from the following:
Use the following folder for collaboration around posts: Website Posts
- [HP] Oversee post: Workshop and BoF at eResAus 2019
- [NL] Oversee post: eResNZ 2020.
- [HP] Share lists of attendees for eResAus 2019 events. (reassigned)
- [All] Contribute to the posts.
- [NM] Update election process document and circulate to the committee.
- [NM] Update website:
- Add approved minutes #7 & #8.
- Add Posts (when available).
Deliverables - on hold.
- D1 (Manifesto): re-draft (if appropriate) and outline steps to advance.
- D7 (Survey): re-draft (if appropriate) and outline steps to advance.
- D2 (Personas): re-draft (if appropriate) and outline steps to advance.
- D4 (Web Presence): re-draft (if appropriate) and outline steps to advance.
- D5 (Meetings): re-draft (if appropriate) and outline steps to advance.
- Scheduled: TBA
Notes: These minutes have been drafted under part of the Chatham House Rule. This promotes openness, and inclusion, by not attributing any specific comment to any individual/s. The exception is that participants are necessarily listed as attendees of the Steering Committee meeting.